NEWS RELEASE · 15th March 2013
New Democrats are calling for an immediate, broader independent investigation to truly get to the bottom of the Liberals’ “quick win” scandal after an internal report released Thursday raised more questions than answers.
“The investigation out of the premier’s office was substantive in that it found very significant and serious violations occurred,” said New Democrat house leader John Horgan. “But the report acknowledges the investigation had a limited scope and was not able to investigate all of the allegations or everyone involved.
“A proper investigation would look at cabinet, caucus, the party, and previous employees," said Horgan, noting Thursday's report only looked at the public service.
The report by the premier's deputy minister, John Dyble, shows government resources were used for partisan activity, contrary to what the premier previously claimed.
“The premier said last week that no government money was spent, but it was. She said there was no sharing of lists between government and the party, but this report shows that may be exactly what happened,“ said Horgan.
"What this report tells me is that the Liberals desperately need some time in opposition."
Horgan said allegations about personal information collected at government events that may have been passed to the Liberal party and allegations by an anonymous caller that there were threats that grants would be cancelled if the multiculturalism minister was not invited to events were not investigated.
“New Democrats will be pressing the attorney general to make sure she is acting on the recommendations immediately. Those recommendations include ensuring documents collected by government that were sent to private emails are secured, and investigating whether records were inappropriately used,” said Horgan.