Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
NEWS RELEASE · 3rd May 2013
BC NDP
Vancouver-West End NDP candidate Spencer Chandra Herbert is calling on Premier Clark to explain her and PAVCO Chair Peter Fassbender’s changing story on the supposed Paragon gaming, BC Place deal.

Last week, Fassbender told the CBC in no uncertain terms that there was a 99-year agreement between PAVCO and Paragon gaming. Yesterday, Fassbender changed his story completely.

Last week, Liberal candidate Fassbender also used the story that there was a deal to attack Adrian Dix’s announcement that he would review and potentially sell BC Place, an operation saddled with debt and losing tens of millions of dollars each year.

"The fact that we have signed agreements between ourselves and Paragon is a major step forward," Fassbender told the CBC on April 25. "Any agreement that they make would bind any future owner of the facility."

Premier Clark joined in, declaring that the deal between PAVCO and Paragon would mean "any proposed sale [of BC Place] will spend years in court.”

Yesterday, Fassbender admitted to Business in Vancouver there was in fact no deal, and that the parties are still in discussions: “the official position that was given you in respect to Paragon is we're still in discussions… discussions have not been concluded yet.”

“British Columbians deserve an explanation from the Premier and Mr. Fassbender,” said Chandra Herbert. “Why the changing story on BC Place and Paragon, and what is the real story?”

Premier Clark must also account for Fassbender’s use of his public office as Chair of PAVCO to benefit his election campaign, which has raised concerns about conflict of interest that Fassbender has failed to address.