NEWS RELEASE · 5th May 2013
Vancouver-Fraserview BC Liberal Candidate Suzanne Anton continued with the BC Liberal Fact-Free Campaign today, this time making the claim the BC NDP would waste money.
FACT: The BC Liberals wasted millions in taxpayersí dollars on losing court battles and penalties after they illegally tore up freely-bargained contracts with teachers and health care workers.
FACT: The BC Liberals have a long record of wasting taxpayersí money.
FOR THE RECORD: Letís review a top ten list of Liberal waste.
1. Vancouver Convention Centre: $341 million over budget
2. BC Place Roof: $414 million over budget
3. South Fraser Perimeter Road exceeded the initial projections by $469 million
4. Port Mann/Highway 1: Final costs exceeded initial projections by $1.8 billion
5. Basi/Virk Legal Fees: $6 million in legal fees for guilty BC Liberals, paid for by taxpayers
6. BCeSIS: $97 million computer system doesnít work, replacement will cost $84 million more
7. Integrated Case Management: $182-million computer system ďa colossal failureĒ and likely to be scrapped according to the Representative for Children and Youth
8. BC Carbon Trust: Took approximately $60 million from schools and hospitals and other public sector bodies over the last three years and gave it to polluters to pay for projects the Auditor General says havenít cut carbon emissions as they were meant to
9. Vancouverís Diamond Centre Hospital: Cost $28 million more than it should have and the BC Liberal government used questionable accounting practices to hide the real $123 million cost
10. BC Hydro Deferral Account: $4.1 billion in losses hidden away in accounts until after the election at which time the Liberals will whack hydro ratepayers with huge rate increases
Add those up and what do you get? A $7.2 billion record of Liberal waste.
Ms. Anton and the BC Liberals have a proven record of wasting money. Does that BC Liberal record deserve to be rewarded? Itís time for change for the better.
There is a lot more of it.
Comment by Helmut Giesbrecht on 6th May 2013
From a Rafe Mair article posted on The Tyee website and I quote: On the side of the Christy Clark bus are the words "Debt Free BC."
This could mean one of two things - we are now debt-free or we will be. Either way, this statement stands as the all-time whopper in B.C. history and that covers a hell of a lot of territory.
I do not rely on politically-oriented think tanks for my information, rather noted independent economist Erik Andersen. If you add the $70 Billion in direct debt projected in Clark's latest Budget to secret "taxpayer obligations" relating to private power contracts and public-private partnership (P3) infrastructure deals, you get - wait for it - over $170 BILLION, that's with a "B".
By that measure, what is important to know about the debt is that in 2001, when the Liberals took over, every man, woman and child owed a shade over $8,000. Today we each owe $40,000 - five times what we owed before this so-called business-oriented, fiscally careful bunch of cheats and hypocrites took over.
No matter how you crunch the numbers, the NDP governments in their decade look like misers and skinflints next to this bunch."