M. of Economic Development
The Province has released its Report on Integrated Hosting and Ticketing for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
The Games, which took place in February and March 2010, propelled B.C. onto the world stage. About 3.5 billion people watched the games on TV at home, and hundreds of thousands of visitors came to B.C. to experience the Games in person. These visitors included dignitaries and business leaders from around the world.
The Province developed the Integrated Hosting Program with the business community to maximize opportunities to promote business development and foster new business connections, bringing economic benefits to British Columbia. The program promoted B.C.'s industries, regions and communities to investors from around the world.
* Approximately 15,000 participants attended 113 hosting events at the BC Pavilion, BC Showcase, Asia Pacific Business Centre, Terminal City Club and Whistler.
* Guests also took part in other hosting events - 90 sporting events (including Victory Ceremonies) and close to 80 bilateral meetings.
* About 1,000 companies from outside British Columbia took part in the hosting program.
* A dozen partnerships will create jobs and build a stronger economy. Government is monitoring at least 27 other pending agreements.
* 54 per cent of all Olympic tickets used were directed to hosting dignitaries and business leaders. A further 43 per cent were distributed to the public through contests and distribution to the community. Three per cent were used by MLAs and ministers as part of their hosting duties.
The report is available HERE