NEWS RELEASE · 3rd June 2010
Ministry of Advanced Education
Eight new degrees - including a bachelor of motion picture arts and a master of education in special education - will give students more choices and better access to post- secondary education, announced Moira Stilwell, Minister of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development.
"Our students want quality education and greater choice close to their homes," said Stilwell. "These new degrees will provide more options for students to help them achieve their educational goals and prepare them for opportunities in both today's and tomorrow's economy."
The new degree programs include:
* A bachelor of motion picture arts degree at Capilano University. This degree will prepare graduates for entry-level positions in the film industry, while also providing the skills needed for graduates to emerge as entrepreneurial filmmakers in B.C.'s expanding creative industry.
* A bachelor of arts degree, with a major and minor in philosophy, at the University of the Fraser Valley.
* A master of arts degree in humanities at Simon Fraser University. This program will train students to think critically in different disciplines, historical periods and cultures.
* A bachelor of fine arts degree in interdisciplinary performance at the University of British Columbia Okanagan. This program will offer students a unique combination of courses in performance practice, visual arts, and creative writing.
* A bachelor of public administration degree at Thompson Rivers University. This program will be delivered solely by distance, in order to meet student needs across B.C.
* A master of global business degree at the University of Victoria. The master of global business will provide the opportunity for bachelor of commerce graduates to specialize in international business at a graduate level. This degree also provides students with opportunities to study in Victoria, Asia and Europe.
* A master of nursing/master of science in health informatics (a dual degree) at the University of Victoria. It will prepare nurses to work in the rapidly expanding field of nursing and health informatics. Health informatics deals with the resources, devices, and methods required to optimize the acquisition, storage, retrieval and use of information in health and biomedicine.
* A master of education in special education at Vancouver Island University. This program is designed for teachers who wish to further their studies with a focus on working with gifted children and children with learning difficulties.
Since 2001, the Ministry of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development has approved or given consent to more than 280 new undergraduate and graduate degree programs at British Columbia public and private post-secondary institutions. The new degrees are helping B.C. improve its competitiveness and productivity through education and skills training.