Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
15 yr member (10 Volunteer & 5 Career) Colin Willoner, stated it is law in BC as of May 1st, to have a smoke detector working on every floor of your residence.
NEWS RELEASE · 21st June 2010
Terrace Fire Department
Two local residents are lucky to have escaped uninjured after a fire broke out at their home at 4 a.m., June 21. The Terrace Fire Department received a report of smoke in a house on the 5100 Block of McConnell in the early morning hours.

15 firefighters quickly responded to the home where two occupants had evacuated the house after being alerted to the danger by a smoke detector. When firefighters arrived, the house was almost completely filled with smoke and there was a fire in the living room area.

The fire was extinguished and the home cleared of smoke in just under 20 minutes. The fire appears to have started in the living room and was contained there. The home sustained significant smoke damage throughout.

“It was fortunate that the occupants had an operating smoke detector in the home at the time,” said fire Chief Peter Weeber. “They were lucky to get out uninjured.”

Weeber reminds the public to always check that smoke detectors are in good working order and encourages people to purchase smoke detectors if homes are not equipped with them already. Smoke detectors are inexpensive and sold where most home maintenance items can be found.