The winners of the 'You Gotta Be Here' summer contest were announced today by Tourism, Culture and the Arts Minister Kevin Krueger.
"We were impressed by the volume and range of the entries for this contest," said Krueger. "The entries and photos reflect the genuine pride of British Columbians and their desire to share their favourite places to visit in B.C. with locals and tourists alike."
The contest, open to all adult residents of B.C., was sponsored by the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts, Global BC and Overwaitea Food Group. Six regional trip prizes, with one grand prize, were available for the winner of one of the trip prizes.
The winners, selected randomly by a third party, are as follows:
* Culinary Delights: A six-day culinary adventure through the rolling valleys, majestic peaks and breathtaking ocean views of the Vancouver, Coast and Mountains Region. Won by Ian Trombley of Hazelton.
* Island Getaway: A seven-day Gulf Islands adventure that includes kayaking, and pampering at indulgent spas, in the Vancouver Island Region. Won by Robert Young of Nelson.
* Wines and Vistas: A six-day tour of the Thompson Okanagan Region's resorts and lodges, as well as a sampling of wines and outdoor experiences. Won by Judy Jolliffe of Campbell River.
* Mountain of Adventure: A five-day discovery of glaciers, hot springs and adventures in the Kootenay Rockies Region. Won by Lisa Faulds of Williams Lake.
* Fly-Fishing Escape: A three-day experience including flight-seeing and fly-fishing in the Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Region. Won by Kathleen Hair of Vancouver.
* Great Northern Rail Ride: A four-day train journey across the diverse and magical Northern BC Region. Won by Donna Garbelya of Kelowna.
The grand prize was won by Lisa Faulds from Williams Lake, who will receive a barbeque for her community on Sept. 12, sponsored by Overwaitea Food Group.
"I know that Kathleen Hair will enjoy some of the best hospitality B.C. has to offer when she comes to the Cariboo Chilcotin," says Cariboo- Chilcotin MLA Donna Barnett. "I encourage everyone to come out to the barbeque at Save-On-Foods, won on behalf of Williams Lake by Lisa. It will be a great time to get to know your community better."
The contest was part of a B.C. summer tourism campaign designed to encourage B.C. residents to travel within the province this summer. Residents make up the single-largest group of travellers in the province and represent approximately 47 per cent of all visitor volume in B.C.
There are hundreds more pictures available on Hello BC's Facebook page HERE