Premier Gordon Campbell realigned the provincial cabinet today to ensure government's continued focus on supporting families, education and the economy.
"Today's changes focus on investment and job creation, helping our children realize their full potential and building on our Olympic momentum," said Premier Campbell. "This new structure will streamline government processes for critical natural resource industries to ensure we can better attract global investment and turn proposed projects and investments into actual worksites and jobs. It enables us to move forward with our federal partners towards establishing a 'one project, one process' model."
The changes include one new cabinet minister and new or changed portfolios for 16 of the current ministers.
"We will encourage increased exports and increased investments in our rich natural resources while adding new momentum to our excellent college system to assist with regional job creation," said Premier Campbell. "An international campaign to build our Olympic momentum will promote British Columbia on a global scale to attract new investment and expanded tourism opportunities."
Ministers with new or changed portfolios include:
* Minister of Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation - Hon. Barry Penner
* Minister of Agriculture - Hon. Ben Stewart
* Minister of State for Building Code Renewal - Hon. Naomi Yamamoto
* Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development - Hon. Stephanie Cadieux
* Minister of Education - Hon. George Abbott
* Minister of Energy - Hon. Bill Bennett
* Minister of Environment - Hon. Murray Coell
* Minister of Finance (Minister Responsible for Small Business) - Hon. Colin Hansen
* Minister of Forests, Mines and Lands - Hon. Pat Bell
* Minister of Health Services - Hon. Kevin Falcon
* Minister of Labour - Hon. Iain Black
* Minister of Natural Resource Operations - Hon. Steve Thomson
* Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General (Minister Responsible
for Housing) - Hon. Rich Coleman
* Minister of Regional Economic and Skills Development - Hon. Moira
* Minister of Science and Universities - Hon. Ida Chong
* Minister of Social Development - Hon. Kevin Krueger
* Minister of Tourism, Trade and Investment (Minister Responsible for the Intergovernmental Relations Secretariat) - Hon. Margaret MacDiarmid
Ministers retaining existing portfolios:
* Attorney General - Hon. Mike de Jong
* Minister of Children and Family Development - Hon. Mary Polak
* Minister of Citizens' Services - Hon. Mary McNeil
* Minister of State for Climate Action - Hon. John Yap
* Minister of State for Mining - Hon. Randy Hawes
* Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure - Hon. Shirley Bond
To download photos of the Executive Council and to see individual biographies go to: http://www.gov.bc.ca/premier/cabinet_ministers/