Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
REPORTING · 5th January 2011
Allan Hewitson
The Kitimat Ice Demons once again assuaged the 7-0 early season loss to the Terrace River Kings by rolling over the Kings for the second time in 12 days Thursday, December 30, in Terrace, winning by a score of 7-2. On Saturday, December 18, in Kitimat, the Ice Demons beat Terrace 8-3.

It was a scrappy, loosely played game, (not helped by a lack of meaningful refereeing). Terrace came out hitting hard, but concentrated too much on rough offense in the first minute while the Ice Demons were in their ‘zone’ and put the puck in the net after just 37 seconds. The goal was scored by Daniel Mayer after Jeff Baker and Nick Markowski provided the fore check that led to assists.

Terrace got the goal back within a minute when Calen Findlay found a loose puck under Jamie Moran in the Kitimat crease and pushed it over the line. Garrett Kerr assisted.

The largest part of the remainder of the first period consisted of the Ice Demons effectively killing three shorthanded situations in a row. Kitimat’s goalie, Jamie Moran, along with his defense, came up big as the River Kings launched a solid attack. The Kings seemed to focus too much on hard slap shots from the outside and the good blocking and quick glove by Moran kept Terrace off the score sheet.

Eventually the tide turned and the Demons took the lead for good on a power play with just 2.27 left in the period. Ian Coleman deposited a hard shot behind Terrace Goalie Spencer Krupop, after he moved in to slap home a hard shot rebound from Blaine Markwart. A second assist went to Jeremy Brady, playing defense for the Demons.

In the second period Terrace continued to try and intimidate the Demons who remained more focused on passing and puck control. This led to goals by Daniel Mayer, (Jeff Mildenberger, David Venman), just three minutes into the period; Ian Coleman, with a neat back flip tip-in in the crease after David Venman picked up the puck just inside the Terrace Blue line and slid it to Coleman; and by Brandon Wakita, who intercepted a Terrace breakout pass and pursued it into the corner, brought it out, and then slipped it behind Krupop, unassisted.

That was pretty well the game as the River Kings continued to play aggressive, but ineffective hockey.
They scrambled a second goal with nine seconds left in the second period, just after Craig Hewitson finished serving a two minute penalty for slashing. David Tooms was credited, with assists to Steve Cullis, (who was big and hard to move in the crease), and to Josh Murray.

In the third period, the Ice Demons added goals by Daniel Mayer (hat trick) from Nick Markowski and Derek Wakita and Craig Hewitson (Blaine Markwart, Ian Coleman.) The assist was Coleman's fourth point of the game.

The River Kings were mostly apoplexy on ice and finally Chris Brown earned himself a second double minor for high sticking and hitting from behind and referee Chris Daniels had enough of his mouth and ejected him, with a game misconduct.

It was not a highlight night for the River Kings who never missed a chance for a head punch, a cross check or slash, particularly during line exchanges at the benches, none of which was seen by anyone in official stripes.

Demons, in fact, were assessed 22 minutes in minors, with Terrace serving 16 minutes on eight minors.

The game result, with its two points, brought the Demons, after a slow start to the season, into a first place tie with the Prince Rupert Rampage, each with 16 points from 13 games. These two teams meet for their final clash on Saturday, Jan. 8 in Kitimat.

Terrace are four points back at 12 points after 14 games, with two games remaining with Hazelton, one at home, and one in Hazelton.