Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
NEWS RELEASE · 25th October 2011
Trevor Shannon
Even a roadblock couldn’t stop the Terrace McCarthy Motors Bantam Rep team from winning the 2011 Quesnel tournament. As the team was loading onto the minor hockey bus early Friday morning, they were informed that the highway was closed 20 km east of Terrace due to a rock slide. Knowing they couldn’t risk waiting a possible long delay for the highway to re-open, they decided to take the alternate route through the Nass and Cranberry junction. Albert Vandevelde did a magnificent job driving the bus, and managed to still get the team there in time for their first game Friday night versus the Fort St John tier 2 Flyers.

The excitement of finally arriving in Quesnel after the long bus ride showed in the players as they quickly jumped all over their opponent in the first period. Keaton Gordon opened the scoring for Terrace eight minutes into the first. However, the bus legs for Terrace showed up in the second, and some sloppy, sluggish play allowed FSJ to score 6 goals in the second, and lead the game 6-1 after two periods. FSJ added another goal early in the third to make it 7-1, forcing Head Coach Jesse Schroeder to make a goalie change, replacing Thomas Botelho with Dion Johnston. Dion was tested right away and made some terrific saves, sparking his teammates to pick up their play. Carter Shannon, Fred Mowatt, and Hunter Johnson scored 3 quick goals midway through the third, then Carter added another a few minutes later making the score 7-5. However just as the coaches were contemplating pulling the goalie for an extra attacker, FSJ scored late in the game, making the final 8-5.

Terrace’s second game had them up against the Salmon Arm tier 3 team, and this was the most dominating lopsided performance of the tournament. This was a game where the zamboni driver literally only had to flood one end of the ice, as Terrace cruised to a 9-1 victory. After the first period a Salmon Arm parent, very disappointed with his teams play, left the stands muttering that his team just got outshot 35-0. Keaton Gordon led the way with 3 goals, Carter Shannon had 2, while Fred Mowatt, Colin Bell, Hunter Johnson, and Connor Onstein each added 1. Thomas Botelho picked up the win after replacing Dion Johnston who was taken out after a collision early in the first period left him a little shaken up.

Game three for Terrace on Saturday afternoon had them facing the PG tier 2 Cougars with both teams needing the win to advance to the semi finals. Well Terrace wanted it more, controlling the play with tremendous hustle. Terrace built up a 5-0 lead getting 2 goals each from Carter Shannon and Jack Lofroth, and a single goal from Keaton Gordon. PG got a couple late goals, but Ryan Kawinsky netted one late in the game to make the final score 6-2 for Terrace, and moved them onto a semi final game with the host Quesnel team. Dion Johnston got the win in goal for Terrace.

The semi final game on Sunday morning saw a back and forth first period with some great scoring chances by both teams, but some outstanding goaltending kept the game scoreless after one period of play. Terrace finally opened the scoring early in the second on a goal by Colin Bell, and then Ryan Kawinsky made it 2-0 shortly after. Quesnel then scored making it 2-1, but Carter Shannon answered soon after and restored the 2 goal lead. Quesnel scored 2 late in the second, tying the game at 3 after two periods of play. It was all Terrace in the third as Eric Vandevelde, Keaton Gordon, and Colin with his 2nd of the game, each scored making the final 6-3. Thomas Botelho picked up the win in net for Terrace.

This then set up the rematch that the Terrace players wanted so badly with FSJ, as they beat Dawson Creek in the other semi final game. Once again Terrace opened the scoring with Hunter Johnson and Jack Lofroth each scoring early in the first. FSJ answered back with 2 of their own, and then Connor Onstein made it 3-2 for Terrace. FSJ scored with 16 seconds left tying it at 3 after one period of play. In a reversal of the first game, this time the second period was all Terrace, scoring 4 unanswered goals from Hunter Johnson, Ryan Kawinsky, Jack Lofroth, and Cole Motschilnig. Carter Shannon scored midway through the third making it 8-3. FSJ got 2 back late in the game, but Dion Johnston would allow no more, giving Terrace the 8-5 victory.

Throughout the tournament Head Coach Jesse Schroeder received many compliments from the opposing coaches for how well the Terrace team played, and for how hard they worked on every shift.