Custom Search
Top Stories
Go to Site Index See "Top Stories" main page
CONTRIBUTION · 6th July 2012
Linda Henry - Wawatay News
A spiritual leader and descendent of the missing brothers, Allan Oombash, was among them.

Early in the search the party found eleven bones. The bones have been sent back to Cat Lake First Nation.

The Ontario Provincial Police had asked for the bones, but the family refused to give them up.

Note to readers: This stirring account shows how more native families in Canada are taking action to find and return the bones of residential school children. This latest example once again implicates the Church and Crown of England, which ran the Pelican Lake School near Sioux Lookout where these children died. Five other grave sites near residential schools are now being investigated by ITCCS.

Read the entire story at the source here

“Why are you now wanting to know how, when and why these children died, when something should have been done back in 1956?” the family said to police.

For weeks after the first discovery, the searchers could not find any more fragments or remains.

Oombash went further afield to consult another Elder and healer, John Lathlin of Winnipeg, Man. Lathlin told them, through ceremony, to continue the search and that they would find remains in a massive grave.

Another Elder, Phyllis Mendowagon, also informed the searchers that the Earth has four layers and they would find the remains on the first layer.

Canadian Rangers from the nearby community of Lac Seul First Nation had been deployed to join the search. Most quickly gave up, as some had other obligations, and some were spooked by what sounded like children at play in the woods.

Late one evening towards the end of the search, Allan Oombash said he and two young teenagers were out on a walk. As they were nearing the CN tracks, Oombash said “we heard what sounded like a yell, it became loud and louder. This, of course, scared the teenagers and they wanted to return right away back to the houses. I asked them to stay for awhile and not to be afraid.”

“The very next morning, I told the party to begin looking in the direction of where we heard the yelling,” Oombash continued. “Sure enough we found what was an enclosure or remains of a fence, badly burnt.”